Between the 2 of us we have 3 kids, ages 2, 5 and 6. We remember going to large toy stores (not going to name them) and looking at some of the toys and going "ugh"! They are not cute, they are not intelligent and they are loud (ugh!) and they are not safe!. Like all parents we care for safety first and foremost. Not sure why these large retailers dont! Anyways, we have always loved wooden items, especially for kids. And those toys that come from Europe and India and Thailand are just beautifully crafted. As we started to dig deeper, we found that wait there are amazing toy makers in USA - Pennsylvania, Vermont, Maryland etc. How about that?
Hence Leo Goes Grr came about.
We learnt a lot of things about raising our kids green as we built this company -
- plastic is bad, no matter how you look at it
- not all wooden toys are safe. be aware of non-toxic paints
- let the kids use their imagination to power the toys. batteries are not recyclable and end up in landfill
- there is no need to waste energy resources in shipping toys from all over the world when you can find lovely, safe toys in USA. "think global, buy local" remember?
- we admit, recycled items, quality toys are more expensive. but less is always more. these toys will last generations. and we only have one planet..let us respect it.